This course, one in the dysphagia education series, is designed to teach the clinician how to begin to understand the complexities of dysphagia and teach clinical evaluation techniques and learn the basics for performing a swallow instrumentation study.
It was designed for the older child through adult population experiencing sudden onset etiologies, injury, chronic and progressive illness or congenital conditions.
Treatment strategies will be provided based upon the clinical and/or instrumental exams.
Clinicians will learn to initiate task analysis to recognize, plan and treat their patients with complex etiologies and difficulties with feeding and oropharyngeal dysphagia.
- Understand the traditional definitions for normal and disordered swallowing function.
- Learn aspects of the clinical dysphagia exam and swallow instrumentation options.
- List and describe 5 reasons for aspiration seen during the instrumental exam (FEES/MBSS).
- Learn to task analyze behaviors seen in order to create treatment plans.
- Learn 5 therapeutic techniques which can facilitate improvement for the patient with oral feeding difficulties and oropharyngeal dysphagia.
Presenter Bio: Colette Ellis M.Ed., CCC-SLP, BCS-S is a Board Certified Specialist in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders with over 35 years of clinical experience. She specializes in adult and pediatric dysphagia, neurogenic, voice and traumatic brain injury, as well as oral placement, feeding and speech therapy for clients and patients of all ages. She has certification in the Lee Silverman’s Voice Treatment (LSVT), and the Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile (MBSImP). Additionally, she has received specialized training in Apraxia, Beckman Techniques, NDT, Sensory Processing, and Stroke recovery. She is a founding members of the Academy of Medical Speech-Language Pathologists (OAMSLP) in Oklahoma and owns a private practice in Chickasha, Oklahoma. Colette holds a B.S. and Master’s degree from the University of Central Oklahoma.
- Title: Rethinking Dysphagia: Equipping the Clinician’s Toolbox
- Workshop Location: Cairo, Egypt
- Workshop Date: 20-21 April , 2018
- Workshop Price:$450
- Early bird 380$ until 1/3/2018
- Early bird group Rate of 5 persons 350$ until 1/3/2018
Terms and Conditions:
Your place cannot be guaranteed until your payment has been received.Please make sure your payment processed at least 60 calender days before the date of the course. A schedule for the day, plus directions to the venue will be sent to you when your payment is received ,In the unlikely event that TalkTools middle east has to cancel a course, we will give you as much notice as possible and offer you a place on another course or refund your fee. TalkTools middle east cannot be responsible for reimbursing any other costs e.g. travel or accommodation. Your details will be kept on our database.We may contact you in the future to tell you about other TalkTools middle east courses. We will not pass your details on to any other company.